Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Draw before You Sew

  There was a lady who used to come into the quilt shop with a folder full of papers.  She was there with her swatches to pick fabrics for a particular project.  The reason I remember her so well is that she would make these tiny little sketches of her pieced blocks and then meticulously cut and past fabric on it till she got the desired look.
    I need to work up a new design and want to include a pieced block or two, so instead of heading to my machine and wasting fabric trying to work the block out I decided to use that ladies method.  First I made a small sketch to scale.
Then started adding the scrappy fabrics I was intending to use.
 To see if black would work better in the block I just added the pieces in.
 When all was said and done I went with the original but added muslin fabric for the background to really make those fabrics pop.

Well that was like going back in time and playing with my paper dolls.  I'll be doing that again only next time I won't waste so many hours on it.

3 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I really like that idea. I am always trying to decide how to set up a block and what colors to use, nice way to audition them.

Debbie

Paula said...

An awesome idea! Thanks for sharing it.

Cathy said...

I love your block. Hugs